High numbers of refugees, many of whom children and young people, made their way to Europe in 2015 and 2016. Social services in local and regional authorities are key in promoting their successful integration in societies. At this seminar, organised in cooperation with ESN’s Swedish member, the National Board of Health and Welfare, we will discuss examples of policy and practice for the social inclusion of migrant children and young people. We will cover the following themes:
- Unaccompanied migrant children in the public care system;
- Families on the move;
- Migrant young people’s transition to adulthood.
Participants will have the opportunity to hear about and exchange on child protection and guardianship, housing, health care, mental health support, education, training, and employment.
- European Social Network (2016) The impact of the refugee crisis on local public social services in Europe
- Article on 'The Guardian', written by ESN Policy Director Alfonso Lara Montero
- Video 'Listening to unaccompanied minors'
- Video 'Investing in children’s services: a focus on unaccompanied minors'
- European Social Network (2005) Promoting Inclusion for Unaccompanied Young Asylum Seekers and Immigrants