Join our team
Senior Development and Policy Officer
The European Social Network (ESN) is the independent network for public social services in Europe. ESN is a Europe-wide network with more than 125 member organisations in 33 countries. With members in local public social services across Europe, we bring together the people who are key to the design and delivery of vital care and support services, to learn from each other, and contribute their experience and expertise to building effective social policy at the European and national level. You can read more about ESN at www.esn-eu.org.
ESN is looking for a Senior Development and Policy Officer (full-time) to join our Secretariat in Brussels. The post holder will have a strategic role in the wider development of the Network to contribute to its financial sustainability by developing and retaining membership ensuring members engagement with policy activities, and supporting the CEO in the development of institutional and private partnerships. The post-holder needs to be someone with initiative and willing to work across teams as s/he will work with the CEO in the development of membership and proposals for external partnerships; with the policy officers on engaging members in the annual work programme; with the communications and marketing coordinator on the promotion of membership development including branding, data and CRM development.
Partnership development and implementation
- expanding the coverage of ESN partnerships, connecting with potential new members and partners, thereby ensuring that year-long membership targets are met, and new opportunities are developed.
- supporting the coordination and management of ESN’s partnership with the European Commission
- coordinating with the policy and communication teams and the CEO reporting for external partners
- Plan, manage and implement ESN’s membership and partnership strategy by strengthening ESN’s existing membership base and ensuring that a viable membership retention strategy is implemented
- Developing and strengthening relationships with ESN members to ensure that we are promoting and engaging with each other’s activities
- Working with the CEO and policy team in identifying potential members and ensuring the participation of members in the ESN’s activities
- Coordinating membership and partner contributions, keeping up to date monthly records and producing monthly reports
- Supporting the coordination of ESN’s finances and support systems including budget progress monitoring
- Contributing to ESN communications in terms of members engagement in policy activities
- Developing membership and partnership materials
- Coordinating the establishment, maintenance and update of membership and partnership records in ESN’s CRM
- Keeping up to date monthly records of members and partners participation and contributions and producing reports
- Ability to contribute to the setting of an annual work programme and monitoring its implementation
- Ability to identify risks in programme implementation and good problem-solving skills to ensure timely delivery within budget
- Experience of overseeing/managing grant-funded programmes
- Experience with member outreach, partnership or business development
- Excellent analytical skills to identify and be able to convey key messages to members and stakeholders
- Self-starter and highly motivated individual
- Innovative, entrepreneurial approach to policy, membership and partnership development
- Understanding of the functions of a membership organisation
- Strong interpersonal skills for team work and autonomy in driving forward own work
- Excellent written and oral English (ESN’s working language) and fluency in at least one other European language
- Experience working with customer relations management systems (e.g. Salesforce, CIVI CRM)
- Technical mind, attention to detail and organised to be able to keep detailed records of member subscriptions and data using a customer relations management system
- Ability to develop marketing or promotional membership materials
- University education in European policy or government, social policy, social economy or similar.
Salary and Conditions
Initial salary is competitive in the region of 3,400€-3,600€ and commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include pension, travel reimbursement, lunch vouchers, health and hospitalisation insurance. Holiday allowance is 20 days on a pro-rata basis (accrued according to Belgian legislation and rising with the length of service) plus bank holidays and additional days over Christmas period. We support staff in their professional development. Opportunities for training are regularly discussed with the line manager, and we provide regular performance review with opportunities for further training in line with responsibilities.
Please send your CV, cover letter and task in one document of maximum four pages long addressed to Alfonso Lara Montero, Chief Executive, outlining your motivation, skills and experience.
Task: Explain how you would develop membership and partnerships for ESN; and how you would ensure participation of members in ESN activities.
Please send your CV, cover letter and the written task to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 24th September, midnight. If you are interested, please apply early as we may interview before the dealine.
NOTE: Applications that do not follow this process will be rejected.
Equal Opportunities Statement
It is the policy of the European Social Network to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or trade union membership status or any other protected characteristic provided for under equality legislation.
The European Social Network will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment. The European Social Network will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The European Social Network is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. The overall responsibility for the policy lies with Chief Executive. However, all staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity.
Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.