ESN launched the Working Group on Ageing and Care in May 2014. The group aims to increase the capacity of public authorities to plan and manage older people’s services in a sustainable and person-centred manner, and to promote active and healthy ageing.
The working group consists of ESN members who are senior professionals who plan, coordinate and manage social services for older people. Over the course of five meetings in 2014-2016, the working group will look at various thematic areas, ranging from service planning, public contracting and evidence-based practice, to cooperation between health and social care, active ageing, workforce and home-based care.
- The first meeting took place in place in September 2014. Participants discussed the European recommendations on long-term care, as well as local practices from the Municipality of Östersund in Sweden and Barcelona County Council, amongst others. Read more about the discussions in English, français, español, italiano, Deutsch, polski. ESN members can access all the resources from the meeting in the Members' Area.
- At the second meeting in February 2015, participants looked at European, national, regional and local initiatives to promote the integration of health and social care services for older people. Working group members discussed how the policy context influences service integration and analysed various practice examples. Some of the issues raised included the scope of integration, the social aspect of care, information sharing across sectors and evaluation methods. ESN members can access all the resources from the meeting in the Members' Area.
- The third meeting in September 2015 took place in Seville, Spain. It looked at European, national, regional and local initiatives for active ageing measures. The working group also collected local and regional practice examples that support participation in society, independent, healthy and secure living and an enabling environment for active ageing for people who are 65+ and already need some form of support. ESN members can access all the resources from the meeting in the Members' Area.
- The fourth meeting of the Working Group on Ageing and Care took place in Mechelen, Belgium in February 2016. It looked at policies and practices aimed at managing the social care workforce (professionals, family carers, community) of those working with older people, as well as at skills development, support for families, and workforce planning. ESN members can access all the resources from the meeting in the Members' Area.
- The fifth and final meeting took place in Brighton, UK, in October 2016. It focussed on quality of services for older people and the role of technological solutions in tackling social challenges and in social care. In a joint session with ESN’s Disability Working Group, we discussed how services for people with learning disabilities should be provided. ESN members can access all the resources from the meeting in the Members’ Area.
The outputs of the working group for ageing and care will be presented in a toolkit in 2017. Practice examples from the meetings will be made available in our practice library.
If you wish to find out more about the working group, please contact ESN Policy Officer Leyre Merchán Paúles.