On 11 September, the members of ESN’s Reference Group on the European Semester met in Brussels for the fourth annual meeting. Together, with the European Social Observatory (OSE) and European Commission officials, discussions were held on challenges facing social services across Europe, the European Semester process and the European Pillar of Social Rights. The discussions provided a valuable opportunity for local public social services to provide their input in the European Semester process.
In the lead up to the meeting, ESN’s Reference Group has been analysing the European Commission’s country reports and country-specific recommendations which form part of the European Semester process. This analysis and perspective of local public social services will be built on by ESN and OSE to produce a report, which will be published in the autumn before the next EU Semester cycle begins in November.
About ESN's Reference Group
Introduced in 2011, the European Semester is the annual cycle of economic and social policy coordination between the EU and its Member States. Since 2014, ESN has worked with up to 25 members and contributors to bring social services to the forefront of the European Semester to highlight local concerns and elevate the importance of social priorities in the process.
- More on ESN's Reference Group
- Dedicated event page in the Members' area of the ESN website with all the resources and materials. (only for ESN members)
- Latest European Semester report, the 2016 'Connecting Europe with local communities - Social services priorities for the European Semester 2017' – including 25 country profiles
- ESN response to the consultation on the European Pillar of Social Rights: Towards a people’s Europe
- Our latest news articles on the European Semester – view here
- Photos from the day.